Legalization of stay / Visa


EU/EEA citizens

Temporary residence permit

An EU citizen can enter Poland with his/her ID document (a valid travel document e.g. passport, or another document certifying his/her identity and citizenship).

For stay up to 3 months no legalisation of stay will be necessary. For stays exceeding 3 months, an EU citizen will have to obtain a temporary residence permit (Karta pobytu obywatela UE). In case of students, the residence permit is issued for one year. The residence permit - once issued - will also entitle its bearer to take up work. The residence permit and the right to work also extends to the immediate family - i.e. spouse and children.

This document will be issued by the Department of Citizens Affairs of the Voivodeship Office (province administration, in Polish Urząd Wojewódzki). 

Temporary Residence Card will allow you to cross the Polish border as many times as you wish. 

Note: In order to prolong your stay, you need to apply for a Temporary Stay Card 45 days before your visa expires. 

What documents do I need to submit?

  • 3 copies of the application for a temporary residence permit completed in accordance with the instructions;
  • 4 recent colour photographs, undamaged, size 45x35 mm, made in the last six months on a plain white background, with good focus, clearly showing the eyes and face from the top of the head to the top of the shoulders; the face should occupy 70-80% of the photograph; the photograph should show the person looking straight ahead with their eyes open, not covered by hair, with a natural facial expression and mouth closed:

Foreigners with congenital or acquired vision defects may attach a photograph showing them wearing glasses with dark lenses. In such a case, the application must be accompanied by evidence of disability, and in its absence, the foreigner's statement of having a disability.

Foreigners wearing a headdress in accordance with the principles of their religion may attach a photograph in the headdress, as long as the face is fully visible. In this case, the application must be accompanied by the foreigner's statement of belonging to a religious community.

  • A valid travel document (2 photocopies);
  • Confirmation from the university of acceptance for studies or continuation of studies, or a certificate of participation in training course;
  • Proof of payment of the required tuition/course fee, if they are payable;
  • Documents confirming having health insurance or coverage by the insurer of the cost of treatment in Poland;
  • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover the costs of living and return travel to the country of origin or residence and the cost of tuition/ training course.
Please visit the Voivodeship Office web page for detailed information: 


Citizens of the EEA countries are subject to the same conditions as the EU citizens.

The citizens of Switzerland can enter Poland only on the basis of a valid passport.

See also the web site of the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, international version, or the Polish Embassies in Europe -  

Non-EU/EEA citizens


A citizen of a non-EU/EEA country can enter the territory of Poland on the basis of a valid travel document (passport) and a visa (if required). A citizen of a non-EU country has to obtain the visa from the consulate of Poland in his/her country of residence. The short-term visa entitles to stay in Poland up to 3 months, the long-term visa - up to 1 year. The prolongation of visa in Poland is only possible in case of a force majeure or situation impossible to foresee while applying for the visa in the consulate. The visa can be prolonged only once.

It is therefore necessary to apply for a visa in a consulate for the whole planned period of stay in Poland.

For details please contact the Polish Embassies in Europe -  

Persons who have received a visa for the whole period of stay in Poland are not obliged to apply for a residence permit for their stay in Poland. 

Note: In order to prolong your stay, you need to apply for a Temporary Stay Card 45 days before your visa expires.