Timeline - MUW through the Centuries
1809 - the Academic Department of Medicine was created .
1816 - the Academic-Medical Faculty became a part of the Royal University of Warsaw established by the emperor of Russia. The University operated until October 1831, when all universities of the Polish Kingdom were liquidated after the November Uprising. Academic teaching of medicine ceased for 26 years in Warsaw.
1857 - the Imperial-Royal Academy of Medicine and Surgery was established and continued the tradition of the Medical Faculty of the Royal University of Warsaw.
1862 - The Academy was subsequently joined with the Main School of Warsaw as the Faculty of Medicine in 1862. Unfortunately, increased Russification of the University after the collapse of the January Uprising broke its activities.
1869 - the Imperial University of Warsaw was established with Russian as the language of instruction. For this reason the University was boycotted by young patriots who chose to study medicine in St. Petersburg, Dorpat and other places.
1915 - the revived University created within its structure a separate faculty for the education of pharmacists. Starting from the academic year. 1917/18 this faculty was renamed the Pharmaceutical School.
1916 - an independent Faculty of Medicine was established.
1920- the Pharmaceutical School was transformed into the Pharmaceutical Division of the Faculty of Medicine.
1920 - the State Institute of Dentistry was opened in Warsaw and provided higher level instruction for dentists.
1926 - independent Faculty of Pharmacy was established as the first in Poland.
1933 - the State Institute of Dentistry was renamed Dental Academy. It operated till 1949 when it became a part of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Warsaw as the Division of Dentistry. During World War II the Doc Zatorski School operated with the academic underground and its doctors and students helped wounded people and took part in the fighting during the Warsaw Uprising. Warsaw medical school incurred huge losses during the war - only eleven professors out of 23 survived, a large number of doctors, nurses and students was killed.
1950 - the Medical Academy was established. It comprised the Faculty of Medicine with the Dentistry Division and the Faculty of Pharmacy. In March 1950 the name of institution was changed into Medical University of Warsaw.
1975 -the 2nd Faculty of medicine was established. The 2nd Faculty of Medicine was initially mean to supplement the work of the 1st Faculty, but soon it began to carry out clinical instruction on its own. The main clinical hospital of the 2nd Faculty of Medicine is hospital at Kondratowicza Street, Bródno. In the same year the fifth university central hospital at Banacha Street was opened.
1993 - the English Division of the 2nd Faculty of Medicine was established for international students coming to study medicine in Warsaw.
2000 - the Faculty of Health Sciences was established.
2001 - the Physiotherapy Division was opened within the 2nd Faculty of Medicine.
2002 - Postgraduate Studies Center started to operate.
2008 - the name of the Medical Academy in Warsaw changed into the Medical University of Warsaw.
2009 - the Medical University of Warsaw celebrated the 200th anniversary of teaching of medicine in Warsaw.
2010 - the foundation stone for the Centre for Pre-clinical Research was set.
2012 - the Division of Dentistry of the First Faculty of Medicine changed into an independent Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry of the Medical University of Warsaw and the First Faculty of Medicine with the Division of Dentistry changed its name into the First Faculty of Medicine of the Medical University of Warsaw.
A dynamic development of the University infrastructure: foundation plaque was fixed in the wall of a New Pediatric Hospital. New modern Library and Information Center was opened. The foundation stone for the Sport and Rehabilitation Center was set.
2014 - The Centre for Pre-clinical Research was opened.
2015 - The Pediatric Hospital and the Sport and Rehabilitation Center were opened. The Forensic Medicine Department and Department of Descriptive and Clinical Anatomy were modernized.
2017 - the foundation stone for the University Dental Centre was set. The Medical Simulation Center - highly specialized rooms allowing to increase the effectiveness and quality of practical teaching of students.
2018 - The Center for Obstetric Simulations was opened.
On October 6, in the Golden Hall of the Kazimierzowski Palace, the Medical University of Warsaw and the University of Warsaw signed a letter of intent regarding the establishment of the federation.
On October 1 enter into force The Constitution for Science - the Ministry of Science and Higher Education act, which creates the conditions for scientific and didactic excellence, ensures sustainable development of academic centres across the country, introduces doctoral schools and gives universities appropriate tools necessary for effective management. Our University, just like other universities, was obliged to change its structure.
2019 - the foundation stone for the Ronald McDonald House was set and, almost at the same time, the University Dental Centre was opened.
As a result of a ministerial law, since October 2019, our University has been providing eucation in the field of medical sciences and health sciences in the following scientific disciplines: pharmaceutical sciences, medical sciences and health sciences. The 2nd Faculty of Medicine was liquidated and the 1st Faculty of Medicine became Faculty of Medicine and now is providing medical studies in english. A doctoral school was also created.
The complex history of the Medical University of Warsaw can be found in the book "The Medical University of Warsaw in iconography and photography", published on the 200th anniversary of teaching medicine in Warsaw.